This product requires refrigeration and will ship with an ice pack.
An Anti-inflammatory Probiotic to Assist in the Management of Medically Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Lactobacillus plantarum 299v has been shown to or may:
- Assist in the management of medically diagnosed IBS.1
- Relieve bloating, intestinal pain and inflammation.1
- Contains clinically proven, exclusive probiotic strain.
- A randomised, double blind placebo controlled trial tested the efficacy of L. plantarum 299v in 40 people with IBS over four weeks. All patients treated with L. plantarum 299v reported significant improvement in stool frequency and complete resolution of their abdominal pain (Figure One). An overall improvement in all IBS symptoms were noted in 95% of patients in the treatment group, compared to only 15% in the placebo group (Figure Two).1
Figure One: Change in IBS Abdominal Pain from
L. plantarum 299v.1
Niedzielin K, et al. A controlled, double-blind, randomised study on the efficacy of Lactobacillus plantarum 299v in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Eur J Gastro Hepat 2001;13:1143-7.
Figure Two: L. plantarum 299v in IBS.1
Niedzielin K, et al. A controlled, double-blind, randomised study on the efficacy of Lactobacillus plantarum 299v in patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Eur J Gastro Hepat 2001;13:1143-7.
- A 2011 clinical trial of 204 adults with medically diagnosed IBS, showed a significant difference in symptoms with L. plantarum 299v treatment. After four weeks the following results were reported:2
- 66.4% reduction in frequency of abdominal bloating.
- 51.9% reduction in frequency of abdominal pain.
- 42.6% reduction in frequency of bowel movements.
- 82.8% of IBS cases had an excellent to good response compared to 11.1% in the placebo group.
- Defective mucosal intolerance and inflammation: Disruption of the intestinal barrier can lead to inappropriate inflammatory responses which may occur in Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In vitro studies have shown L. plantarum 299v to have the following mechanisms:
- An effect on barrier function by decreasing permeability.
- Competitive adherence to the mucus and epithelium.3
- L. plantarum 299v may help to maintain a normal, healthy cardiovascular system: In a controlled, double blind clinical trial, 36 people were administered L. plantarum 299v over 6 weeks. The results reported significant changes in leptin and fibrinogen.5 Additionally, L. plantarum 299v illustrated the following proposed mechanisms on the cardiovascular system:
- Production of large quantities of propionic acid to exert anti-inflammatory action, modulating NF - kappa B and reducing the production of inflammatory cytokines.4
WARNING: If diarrhoea persists for more than 6 hours in infants under 6 months, 12 hours in children under 3 years, 24 hours in children aged 3-6 years or 48 hours in adults and children over 6 years, seek medical advice.
When constipated drink plenty of water.
Not all cautions and contraindications are listed. For full details, references or more information contact Health World Limited in Australia on 1800 777 648 or in New Zealand on 0508 227 744.
Adults and children over 5 years: Take ⅓ of a metric teaspoon (1.0 g) twice daily or 1 capsule daily.
For severe cases: Take 1 capsule twice daily.
Each 1.0 g dose contains:
Total live organisms of;
Lactobacillus plantarum 299v
20 billion CFU (organisms)
Free from dairy protein, lactose, eggs, gluten, wheat, nuts, yeast, soy protein and salt. Free from artificial colours and preservatives.
Store at 2° to 8° (Refrigerate. Do not freeze)
We Also Recommend